Grandma tells me to always stay satisfied with life
However, she seems to be very hard to please
when I wanted to play out
she said it was too dangerous
when I brought my friends home
she said they were too messy
when monica visited me
she found I was too slim and got worried
when I began to feed my cat
she got angry and kept complaining
when I started to learn calligraphy
she said you should also learn drawing
when I discovered my true love in drawing
she said you should learn maths and English
when I found my interest in literature and English
she said you must learn chemistry and physics
when I got curious about science in labs
she said it's better to stay with your textbooks
when I wanted to learn architecture
she tried her best to persuade me into electronics
when I got interested in humanity and urban planning
she was shocked why I could not stay with professional
architecture
when I showed her my exboyfriend
she said you were too young to have a boyfriend
when I showed her another boyfriend a year later
she asked when you planned to marry him
when I told her monica eagerly wanted a baby
she told me to stay away from her
when I told her young people always explored and wandered
she questioned how you could change so fast
when I expressed my happiness of studying abroad
she urged me to go back home and settle down
Now I tell her that I get interested in poetry
She asks why don't you draw? Drawing is better
I tell her that I am drawing now an then.
I've been in love with drawing for almost 15 years
Remember? When I was in middle school...
She falls into silence
I also tell her that I finally decide to break up with my
boyfriend
even though he is the sweetest guy to me
She sighed, disappointed
at the other end of the phone
on the other side of the globe
in the sunshine that my night can never reach
Now I remember
20 years ago
she said the same thing to me
"Baby, do not pursue perfectionism"
But why grandma,
Why are you always worried about me?
Why are you always unhappy with my choices?
Why can't you just let it be?
Why can't you share my joy of the presence?
How can I please you?
Tell me! How can I make you happy!
Tell me! How can I love you!
She falls into silence again
She has been much more quiet these years
She always stays at home
rejects to move
Probably she is in the circle
never too far from the starting point
She has all her love and gifts
just can hardly appreciate the glory of herself
Even though she urged me to focus in school study
She always loves calligraphy and drawing so much
Even though she tried to keep me away from literature
Her bookshelves are huge and full
Even though she complained that outdoor activities were
unsafe
She laughed so loud and sincere while playing with me in the
park
Even though she scolded the cat all the time
She hugged and caressed it with her entire heart
Even though she arranged the miserable marriage of my
parents
She also understands what true love means
Even though she appreciated the fortune of staying alive due
to the rejection from the air force
She is always ashamed to have been born in the year when
Japanese invaded
Even though she always avoided talking about history
She wrote her personal history with her siblings
Even though she kept denying the quality of her artworks
She eagerly wanted us to print her portfolio
Even though she said old stuff were useless
She always touches the hundred-year-old hardwood table
decorated with shells
Even though she said staying abroad was nothing better than
homeland
She put cash into my pocket every time I was home
Please do not forget
She was the daughter of the wealthiest family of the region
She was born in a mansion compound larger than the world
heritage site
She used to feed three fat cats and two lovely dogs
She used to cultivate beautiful gardens in the courtyard
She had a childhood full of legacies, freedom and love
She gained wisdom from both western and eastern intelligence
She sang traditional operas and recited all kinds of ancient
poetry
She grew up in the capital when city walls were still higher
than the sky
She witnessed the entire process of wars and revolutions
She was the first dozens of girls graduated from the best
university
She used to teach Russian and English
She was the first group of female scientists visiting Poland
She could have been a renowned scientist if revolutions did
not happen
She could also have been a female artist if wars did not
take place
She could have lived a better life if she did not love so
much
She could also have been dead if she loved too much
She always dreams to study abroad
She always dreams to build a better homeland
She always dreams to preserve all the good
She always dreams to live with true love
In my vein flows her blood
Grandma and me are the same
We just wander around the starting point
at different time, different spaces, different stages of
life
Time moves on
never comes back
Fate rolls up and down
never too far
Grandma is 82 years old now
Every day she feels so close to the call of destiny
She is peaceful and ready
there she will meet her parents and family
In her life she has always been extremely careful to stay
appropriate
through these ridiculous decades of contemporary history
of the country, where one can vanish silently, at any minute
She is an extraordinary woman in her era
and also an anonymous dust in the billion
She devoted all her life to this party, to the so-called
belief
as well as her family, in the way she finds correct
She has always been the queen of my family
A queen with glory of the past
A queen with lost memory
A queen with noble spirit
A queen with melancholy
I love you so much
My dearest grandma
You gave me life
You lead my fate
You raised me up
You love me deep
Wow, Judy. This one is awesome. I don't know how I did not read it before. It is so complex and full and beautiful. a wonderful tribute to this woman, your grandma. Really moving. I like the recurring idea of the 'starting point'. And I really like all the lines that read 'Even though ...'.
ReplyDelete